Tuesday 7 August 2012

July - August 2012


I’ve been putting off writing my next blog installment for a while as things haven’t got much better over the last few months.

Donald
Sadly, although Donald soldiered on, his pedal bone continued to drop and it became clear that he was not going to recover from the damage caused by his laminitus. It was not a hard decision to make, as none of us wanted to see him suffer anymore and a life on box rest for him would have been no life at all. Mum made all the arrangements and Marta was so supportive on the day. We nerve blocked his feet and took him out to the field for one last graze with Taffy. The sun broke through the clouds and it was a perfect moment to say goodbye. I’ve had so many happy years with him and he taught me so much. My favourite memories are not only the Milton Keynes 3 day event and jumping the plane at RAF Halton but the 6am hacks before work in the summer. He is in horsey heaven now with Peter and Kirby.


Beautiful Donald



Guinness
Thankfully, Guinness has been brilliant recently and we decided to take him to Classic dressage for a couple of prelims. To say he was wild is an understatement!! One of the other competitors actually shrieked in the warm up arena whilst Guinness was leaping around and cantering backwards. It didn’t go well ….



Guinness ready to go to Patchetts

A few more lessons with Sue and Chloe and I decided to try and qualify for the Chiltern and Thames rider champs at Patchetts. I was aiming for a relaxed horse and a relaxed test but mine was almost too relaxed. I cannot fault Guinness though as he was so well behaved both in the warm up arena and standing quietly on the lorry. He was like a different horse from the one I rode at Classic. I’ve got to work on not tensing up when I enter the arena because as soon as I tense I instantly block Guinness and we stop going forward properly.

Guinness has avoided any further 'head stuck on the floor' episodes so far (touch wood!) and he has moved in to Donald's old stable so he is now next to Frosty and Taffy. He has also started to go back out with other horses although he is now in the 'quiet' group with only Taffy, Kenny and hopefully soon Frost will be joining them.


Guinness with Frosty his new stable buddy!

First Hack together
Joshua and I also went for our first hack together in July. Joshua rode Taffy and I rode Guinness and Dad came along to help Joshua just in case Guinness decided to be a plum! However, Guinness didn't put afoot wrong and Dad didn't need to help Joshua at all and it was lovely to be able to ride out together. 


Olympic fever!
To say I was excited about the Olympics is a huge understatement. I’d booked all the important equestrian days off work so I could watch the competition on TV. 


Chloe and I got a bit wet!

Chloe and I had tickets for the first two days of dressage at Greenwich Park and although on day 1 we got absolutely soaked during a torrential downpour, it is one of the most memorable events of my life! The atmosphere was….. unbelievable. 


Laura and Alf

Carl and Laura were brilliant and I cried tears of joy when Charlotte and Valegro performed their test to put Team GB into gold medal position after the first stage, but I also love Fuego for the Spanish!! I even managed to get my picture taken with Richard Davidson!!


Richard Davidson and I at Greenwich! (plugging Chiltern and Thames Rider)

Kittens!!!
Lastly, on a bit of a whim, I acquired 2 kittens!! They are called Enzo and Gallardo 9after the Ferrari and Lamborghini) and they are very cute and very naughty and have certainly kept me busy but Joshua absolutely loves them!


Enzo and Gallardo!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Aleesha,

    I am an equestrian novelist soon to release my new racing romance, Share and Share Alike, and was hoping you might consider reviewing it on your site. Drop me a message if you’re interested.

    Best wishes,

    Hannah Hooton
    hannahhooton@yahoo.co.uk
    www.hannahhootonbooks.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete